FPPC Announces New 2023-2024 Gift and Contribution Limits
The California Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) has announced new gift and campaign contribution limits for 2023 and 2024. These new limits, described below, take effect January 1, 2023.
- Gift Limits: State and local public officials and specific employees are generally prohibited from accepting gifts from a single source exceeding a certain amount. Beginning in 2023, that amount has risen from $520 to $590 per year.
- Note: Gifts from or arranged by lobbyists remain restricted to $10 per month.
- Contribution Limits: Business entities, committees or PACs, and individuals are generally prohibited from contributing over a certain dollar amount to particular candidates in either a specified election or calendar year. Beginning in 2023, these parties will be under the following limits when contributing to the candidates below;
- Governor: $36,400 per election.
- Other Statewide Offices: $9,100 per election.
- State Legislature: $5,500 per election.
- Local Offices: $5,500 per election. However, localities may also establish their own limits.
- Political Party Account for State Candidates: $45,500 per calendar year.
- Non-Political Party Committees Contributing to State Candidates: $9,100 per calendar year.
Disclaimer: Politicom Law LLP makes this information available for educational purposes only to give you general information and a general understanding of the law, not to provide specific legal advice. By using this page, you understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and Politicom Law LLP. This information should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your state.